The Software Development/ Engineering Technical Writer will use technical knowledge to develop internal and external documentation. Responsibilities will include data collection, collaboration across teams, writing, layout and publication. This role works proactively to capture and document knowledge; create guides, release notes and documentation. Position requires excellent verbal and written communication, strong time management, technical knowledge and organizational skills and refined attention to detail. The Technical Writer must also be a problem solver, comfortable working independently and have strong time and project management skills.
- Create and maintain articles that document current systems and process (mostly from tribal knowledge).
- Collaborate with internal and external customers; as well as, developers, project managers, and team leads to translate user stories into user documents, release notes, technical documentation, integration product information, and other types of documentation as needed.
- Publish documentation and articles for internal and external customers. Maintain database and archive of documents.
- Work with Marketing and Training Specialists to determine overall technical information strategy and assignments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- College degree in technical writing or equivalent experience.
- 5+years technical writing in a software development environment.
- Some familiarity with accounting or payment industry and experience in creating the role of technical writing function preferred.
- Advanced computer skills required, including high level knowledge of Microsoft Office and experience with current publishing options.
Experience documenting Web APIs required
WORK SCOPE AND CONTEXT
- Job is focused on specific area of business with few established practices and procedures. Must work with operational timeframes and be flexible to changing priorities.
- Decisions are made within developing operational guidelines. Decisions affect department, other operational areas and customers or suppliers. Position has a direct effect on utilization, service and knowledge.
- Job has no supervisory responsibility. Work is guided.
- Contacts are made both inside and outside the organization. Internal contacts include the Operations, Software Development, Product and Project Management teams, leads and managers. External contacts include customers, partners and their suppliers.
- Position requires regular contact with others - in meetings, by phone or by email. Interactions focus on problem solving, customer service and information exchange. Interactions are initiated both phone or email and focus on inbound/outbound contact. Headsets are used regularly for phone work.
- Information exchange may include confidential or sensitive information. Data, knowledge transfer and service are primary objectives of this position.
- Normal office working conditions. Work requires regular sitting/standing at a desk, working with a computer and a telephone. Job may require hours that exceed 8 hours per day and 40 hours per week during peak periods.