As a member of the team, we expect you to:
- Successfully operate within our engineering environment and help it evolve over time.
- Review your peers’ technical designs, code, and tests, giving supportive feedback and asking good questions.
- Work in a collaborative environment that rewards experiments, initiative, curiosity, and mentoring.
- Use your database knowledge to design data storage for security, reliability, availability, maintainability, and performance.
- Practice DevOps ensuring a culture of testing and releasing software on AWS continuously using automation and monitoring.
- Partner with other engineering and product teams to loosely couple and scale the service ecosystem.
- Work with teams dedicated to mobile development, physiological science, and user experience.
To be considered for this position, you should:
- Have significant experience and a deep understanding of building microservices and event processing pipelines in a distributed environment.
- Have significant experience consuming and creating web services, with a good understanding of API design.
- Have significant experience working in the modern Java ecosystem with knowledge of at least one build tool (mvn, sbt, gradle, etc.), library dependency management, and at least one JVM language (Java, Scala, Kotlin, etc.)
- Have experience with multiple modern web service frameworks in the JVM ecosystem.
- Have worked in a DevOps environment where strong automation and observability are required to keep the team moving.
- Have contributed to the software change lifecycle, source control, and review processes on a large team scale.
- Understand the benefits and drawbacks between SQL and NoSQL databases and have experience with both.
- Have some experience with continuous integration and delivery practices ensuring frequent and safe deployments.
- Understand and contribute to agile development methodologies.
- Have significant experience using Amazon Web Services.
We will prioritize consideration by these preferred skills:
- Languages: Scala, Python, Java 8+
- Frameworks: Akka Streams & HTTP, Spark, Netty
- Platforms: EC2, Lambda, Kubernetes, EMR
- Techniques: Functional Programming, High Availability, “Big Data”
- OSes: Linux, MacOS
- Databases: DynamoDB, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Cassandra
- Tools: Jenkins, Splunk, SignalFX, Atlassian suite, IntelliJ Idea