The Scrum Master is responsible for facilitating process in our rapidly growing Product and Technology team. This position leads Agile practices and tracks success within Software Development teams in achieving results at a sustainable pace working within an Agile framework. This position will facilitate scrum ceremonies for two Software Development teams, while providing Agile coaching as needed to help these teams achieve increasing levels of success.
- Facilitate agile ceremonies including stand-ups, story elaboration, sprint planning, demos, retrospectives.
- Track and communicate team velocity, sprint progress, and other agile metrics to aid the team in delivery.
- Coach teams and leaders in agile principles and practices, roles and responsibilities, and methods and frameworks.
- Guide Product Managers in their role, defining MVP's, story mapping, writing stories, and backlog prioritization and management.
- Work across teams to remove impediments and manage dependencies.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience as a Scrum Master or leading cross-functional software development teams.
- Proficient knowledge of Agile methodology.
- Experience with Agile project management tools (Azure DevOps, Jira, or similar)
- Scrum Master Certification (CSM) preferred.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, written, and verbal communication skills
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Leadership — Ability to effectively engage, influence and motivate a team through positive example, development and communication. The ability to delegate responsibility and work to others and coach them to develop their capabilities, provide feedback, share information, manage performance, set goals, motivate team and address performance problems.
- Time, Resource and Task Management — Managing one's own time and the time of others. Assessing the value, importance, or quality of things or people. Monitoring and reviewing information from materials, events, or the environment, to detect or assess problems. Developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work and the work of others.
- People Resources and Staff Development — Deep knowledge (and effective use of) principles and procedures for recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, employment relations and negotiation, and HR information systems. Scheduling events, programs, and activities, as well as the work of others. Identifying the educational needs of others, developing formal educational or training programs or classes, and teaching or instructing others. Identifying the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Critical Thinking, Reasoning and Persuasion— Using logic and reasoning to recognize details of situations, identify solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems. Persuading others to change their minds or behavior or to try new approaches. The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense. The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events). Ability to identify the underlying principles, reasons, or facts of information by breaking down information or data into separate parts. Advanced problem-solving skills in analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Idea Fluency and Originality/ Problem Solving - Exceptional problem-solving skills, with ability to identify and drive win-win solutions. The ability to come up with a number of ideas about a topic. The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions. The ability to come up with unusual or clever ideas about a given topic or situation, or to develop creative ways to solve a problem. Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions. Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening and Speaking— Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times. Talking to others to convey information and procedures effectively.
- Administrative — Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records in a database, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Data Manipulation and Verification – Ability to accurately record, verify, audit and follow-up on data within specified time frames. Ability to arrange actions within rules and procedures; ability to develop and refine the rules and procedures with business needs and replicate results.
- English Language — Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar. Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience. Talking to others to convey information effectively. Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents. Professional-level written and verbal communication skills and exceptional relationship building skills. Exceptional written and oral expression and comprehension, including excellent presentation skills with an ability to partner with senior business leaders to understand needs and deliver solutions.
- Service Orientation and Social Perceptiveness— Actively looking for ways to help people while being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Learning — Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- People and Inclusion — Always striving to drive our business forward by positive and direct communication, collaboration, respect, acceptance and professionalism. Understanding how to give and receive feedback, manage conflict positively and work productively with others to solve problems.
WORK SCOPE AND CONTEXT
- Job is focused on specific area of business with established practices and procedures; job affects all roles and activities. Must work with operational timeframes but be flexible to changing priorities. Responsible for ensuring technical procedures and compliance standards are met.
- Decisions are made within scope of expected knowledge, are complex in nature and are used to develop systems for others. Decisions and results affect all departments, business decisions, payments and customers or vendors.
- Work affects flow, information, process, work and decisions of others and is operational and strategic in nature.
- Job has no supervisory responsibility. Requires leadership, teamwork, deep technical skills, analysis and knowledge and application of data.
- Contacts are made inside the organization. Internal contacts include the Engineering teams, leads and managers as well as contacts in Operations and Product.
- Position requires contact with others - in meetings, by phone or by email. Interactions focus on data collection, problem solving, needs analysis and information exchange. Interactions are initiated both in person or electronically.
- Information exchange may include confidential or sensitive information. Leadership, technical development, strategic movement and problem-solving are primary objectives of this position.
- Normal office working conditions. Work requires regular sitting/standing at a desk, working with a computer. Job may require hours that exceed 8 hours per day and 40 hours per week during peak periods.
WORKING FOR Client
Client is a profitable, growing company that values people. We offer many perks outside of the challenging and satisfying work– a new facility near Portland, Oregon; competitive pay and paid benefits; generous time off policy; flexible dress code; snack and drink pantry; and much more. Our environment is comfortable and welcoming with many common areas and the ability to communicate and solve problems across departments. We are proud of the work we do to help other companies but also value work-life balance.
Client is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.